An Integrated Approach
There is a tendency for legislation to be focused only on CO2 emissions by new vehicles instead of following an integrated approach involving all relevant stakeholders.
- Vehicle Technology – Improve the performance of new cars and trucks to reduce their average CO2 emissions
- Alternative Fuels – Support production of sustainable fuels and the infrastructure to deliver them
- Driver Behaviour – Educate drivers on techniques to reduce fuel consumption and CO2 emissions, which can also improve road safety (see the golden rules of ecodriving at www.ecodrive.org)
- Infrastructure Measures – Improve traffic flow and avoid wasteful congestion
- CO2-Related Taxation – Influence consumer choice to produce driving behaviour and purchase decisions for lower CO2 emissions