World motor vehicle production and exports
Total world motor vehicle production decreased by 2.7 % and reached at 53 million vehicles. Significant variations appear by economic area.
• World vehicle production increased sharply by 8 % at 16.6 million vehicles in the European Union. Also. In the rest of Europe, it went up by 4 %.
• Motor vehicle production, remained unchanged at 16 million vehicles in NAFTA countries.
• In Japan, it decreased by 7 % and reached 10 million vehicles.
• Motor vehicle production decreased sharply in South America (- 19 %), in South Korea (-13 %) and in other Asian countries (-16 %).
The ranking of major automobile manufacturers changed in 1998 as a result of new concentration which characterised the automobile sector.
• Total motor vehicle exports went up 6 %, including intra European exports